How difficult is it (really) to reorganize a Chart-of-Accounts after the fact?

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 19:16:00 EST 2015

Fri, 2 Jan 2015 15:29:18 <20150102152918.5224bea7 at mum-quad.billiau.net>
Liz <edodd at billiau.net>

>On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 23:14:38 -0500
>Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems like I should just give my method a try and see where it
>> takes me.  If it takes me too far astray, I'll have to figure out how
>> to adapt my thinking to the rest of the world.
>
>You are quite free to set up as you like.
>You can substitute and rename and reorder your accounts in Gnucash as
>you please, so long as you keep the books balanced.

The OP might also want to be aware that consolidating a CoA (in the
sense of pruning the accounts tree) is easy in gnc, you delete the
account and it asks you where you want the transactions to go.

Conversely expanding a CoA is not trivial as you have to (somehow) move
the transactions yourself.

Moral: starting with more accounts and reducing them is the way to go.
If you are used to category based accounting system read the bit about
gnc being a double entry accounting system again.

--
Wm...