How do _you_ use GNUCash for personal finances?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sat Jan 3 12:03:33 EST 2015

Patrick,

I use Gnucash for both personal and business accounting. I have several
"books" - two non-profits, my personal finances, a for profit company, and
my parent's trust, which I manage.

Gnucash is very flexible in that it works well in all these environments -
business (for profit and not for profit), personal, and trust accounting. I
have even used it to track some small inventory for the non-profits, but it
is not really designed to do that. It is just a really good accounting
package.

For the personal accounting side, I use the budgeting part of Gnucash at
this time each year, and then track expenses and income against that. I
don't do a lot of stocks/bonds as my brokerage accounts do that for me - I
just update the totals in Gnucash. I also don't import bank statements - I
reconcile my accounts by hand each month. It gives me a real sense of what
happened the previous month.

I haven't delved into creating custom reports, even though the trust
accounting book needs that. It seems that attorneys and the courts (US,
Arizona) have developed their own version of accounting reports which have
no relationship to balance sheets and income statements - and they (lawyers
and judges) won't read the standard business accounting reports (balance
sheets and income statements).  It took awhile for me to understand the
trust accounting report format, so I just export the transactions from
Gnucash into a spreadsheet when I need a trust financial report.

Hope that helps!

Mark

BTW, you have been asking some really good questions - I have enjoyed
reading and learning from them!