Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 10:01:10 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
> me.
>
> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
> under-the-hood.
>
> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>
> --wpd

I don't believe there is an option to change this behavior, nor should
there be one.

Here is what I do...

I manually enter my transaction, including the 2 or more split lines,
accounts, and amounts. After entering the last split amount, I use the
UP arrow to move off the split line the cursor is on, but still
remaining "in" the current transaction.

Every time your cursor moves off a split line, gnuCash verifies
whether the transaction is balanced (debits = credits). It will add a
new split line to "correct" any imbalance.

I visually take 2 seconds, literally, to make sure everything looks
right, and that NO new Unbalanced split line has been added by
gnuCash, before moving on to my next transaction entry.

I hope this helps you.

---
jcard21