Transaction Details Report

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 22:17:38 EST 2015

John,

I don’t see any other replies..

I don’t have much to comment on your approach to handling the tax preparation season. I *can* tell you that I have, over the years, made use of GnuCash’s tax reporting options to greatly facilitate my tax preparation.

I will preface this by saying  that I am in the US jurisdiction, for which there are GnuCash tools (Thanks, Alex!) that mesh with the US tax code.

What I do is use different accounts in Gnucash for the different tax reporting areas, e.g. Expenses:Tax:Federal or Expenses:Charity. I use the Tax Report Options to attach each account to an IRS tax line (Edit->Tax Report Options), and then I can use the TXF report to pull numbers for reporting needs. I have found this to be very easy and quite reliable. I usually spend a couple of days comparing my GnuCash numbers to the various tax forms I receive (W-2, 1099, etc.) before I commit these numbers to the tax forms, but I am confident that my books match with the rest then, and I can breathe easy.

I have found in my books that certain practices I follow have resulted in a proliferation of accounts (for example, I adopted a policy of setting up separate accounts for each stock’s dividends, which I now believe to be overkill). I have also found that this approach requires a high degree of matching between my transactions and the reporting agencies—for example, it is not enough to enter a paycheck with just the amount that goes into your checking account, you have to put every line from your paycheck into GnuCash with correct accounts. Although it slows the data entry down, it sure does speed up the tax prep!

I hope that helps,
David