Newbie needs help with categorizing

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 8 10:23:05 EST 2015

Hi,

davidj <david at swallowmead.com> writes:

> I appreciate that Gnucash uses double entry book keeping and as such
> categories are identified as accounts.
> 1. I am solely trying to track expenditure on my personal account and credit
> card. I therefore need to bulk create new categories, how is this done.

Well, you could use the New Hierarchy helper to create a bunch of income
and expense accounts from existing templates.  Also, you can create new
accounts from the register as you enter transactions -- if you enter an
account that doesn't exist GnuCash will ask if you want to create it.

> 2. I have imported a years worth of account data to make future comparisons
> how can I quickly/Bulk  categorise these entrentries.

How are you importing the data?  All the gnucash importers allow you to
assign categories (we call them "Income and Expense Accounts") to each
transaction while you import them.  However in many cases you'll need to
assign them one-by-one.  The QIF Importer will group all transactoins
with the same Payee or Memo and treat them the same.  The OFX importer
can learn between invocations, but not within an invocation.

> Any advice much appreciated.

Hope the above helped,