Wow! I'm impressed and have a question

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Fri Jan 9 06:33:32 EST 2015

	Your e-mail is lengthy, and I am concerned that it may not get
responded to due to that (as I often have the same problem), so while my
accounting background is limited, I will state what I know about how I
use the software.

	1) When I create a loan account and write a check toward payoff, the
money goes directly from my banking account (typically checking) to the
loan account.  This decreases the loan balance.

	I'm not sure why you want to involve an expense account, so here are
some additional points from my experience / limited knowledge:

	2) When I create an expense account to track money spent, the money
goes directly from my banking account (typically credit card) to the
expense account.  When using a credit card, payments toward the credit
card would then go directly to the credit card account from another
banking account (as the expense was already accounted for).

	3) The only time money comes out of an expense account for me is when I
get a refund and it goes back to a banking account.

	I mention these additional points because, to the best of my knowledge,
money can only be in one place in this double-entry accounting system.
IOW, money paid toward a loan is not an expense.  However, interest on a
loan is an expense, which actually brings up another point:

	4) Each month, I move money from my loan account to an expense account
created to keep track of interest.  This increases the loan balance and
the amount of expenses incurred.

	On the off chance that anything above sounds wrong to you, it is
possible that you are trying to do something I don't understand, and it
is possible that you know how to do it right and are actually doing
something silly.  To that end, I have one more bit of personal
experience that may be obscurely relevant:

	5) I have two brokerage accounts which both kept track of money the
same way when I opened them.  Specifically, deposits would come in
directly from relevant accounts (as in [1] above), income would come in
directly from relevant accounts (money transferred directly from income
accounts created to keep track of interest and dividends), and money
involving securities would transfer directly from my brokerage account
to/from the relevant securities (similar in a way to a revolving loan /
credit card).  However, one of my brokerage accounts recently switched
to a different clearing house, and I cannot make any sense of the
nonsense I get in my qfx downloads from them.  There seems to be
multiple accounts for cash and constant separate journal entries that
match other entries and make no sense to me.  I've stuck with what I
understand and now manage that account manually instead of downloading
data for reconciliation.

	I can't state for a fact that I am doing it right and/or that the data
file I get from that brokerage is wrong, but it is more complicated than
it needs to be, and I don't want to re-create my books to deal with it.
  I suppose it is possible that every entry in that data file is
standalone, meant to apply to another entry in the same data file.
Perhaps this is how Quick Books output some of your data or dealt with
some of your accounts and this is where the confusion comes from, but
these thoughts are nothing more than grasping at straws.

	One final thought, in case this didn't occur to you when reading my
comment (2) above, your loan balance should have come from an expense
account instead of an opening balance?  If the money went into your bank
account, that would create the loan balance, so if the money didn't
enter your banking account, but is classified as an expense, perhaps it
would then be as if the loan account paid the expense and you were
paying the loan back.  I mean, I think opening balances are for money
that existed when the book was created and not for money that came from
or went somewhere after that point.  For instance, I don't have any
opening balance accounts because my first checking account is in GnuCash
from the beginning, and that account was $0 when I opened it, then I
deposited money from income.

	Whether my rambling helped or not, good luck with the program.