Wow! I'm impressed and have a question

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Fri Jan 9 09:17:32 EST 2015

On 1/9/2015 7:30 AM, Robert Kesterson wrote:

> 1.  Create the initial loan account and checking account.  That will
> create transactions pulling money from "Equity:Opening Balances" into
> the accounts, so that the double entry requirement is satisfied.
>
> 2.  Create an asset account called Allowance. This is where you want the
> money to come from when paying the loan.  Set the opening balance to zero.
>
> 3.  Create a transaction in the checking account for $300, with the
> destination account being the Assets:Allowance account.
>
> 4.  Create a second transaction in the Assets:Allowance account for $300
> with the destination account being the loan account.

For the record, you can actually do the same thing with a split.  The
split just needs to have for legs, with $300 on both sides of the two
legs to the same Assets:Allowance account. This will look the same in
the ledgers, but I don't know about reports.  Also, it might not be
preferred since one could potentially argue that Assets:Allowance
started with $0, then transferred $300 to itself, leaving it with $0
while the $300 from checking still went straight to the loan account.
Regardless of whether any of that matters, I mention this simply because
it would make input easier if those potential negative side-effects
(report problems and stupid arguments) don't apply.

Additionally, while I don't know if this would be correct based on
standard accounting conventions, another option here might be to make
two sub accounts under Assets:Allowance.  For instance
Assets:Allowance:In and Assets:Allowance:Out.  Then you could take $300
from checking to Assets:Allowance:In and $300 from Assets:Allowance:Out
to the loan.  These subaccounts would have balances that cancel each
other out, making Assets:Allowance still show $0, and you could then
report off of the relevant subaccount in order to see the dollar value
of only transfers you want to see.  In this scenario, my previous
discussion about splits would probably still apply in the same way.