Cash Basis Report Options

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jan 9 10:31:39 EST 2015

>> Sure -- provided you don't use any of the invoicing features.
>> If you invoice then by definition it's an accrual.
>
> Unless it is a pro-forma invoice in which case it isn't and you
> shouldn't be using gnc to produce it, see previous discussions.

It is likely that the few of us who are using gnucash to keep the books
for non-profits shouldn't involve the whole list as we argue how best to
do things. Or if there are enough of us doing this perhaps a sub list,
even if informal like something identifying in the subject line so
others not interested in the issues for non-profits can filter those
posts out.

The problem with the previous opinion is:
a) Unlikely to have other software capable of of producing these
pro-forma invoices.
b) Still going to have to do data entry to indicate which were paid if
you had that software. And produce the reports your board will want to
see (do you think the board isn't going to ask the treasurer "how many
members haven't renewed yet and who are they?", What percentage of our
expected dues have been received?", etc.)
c) The membership  is going to expect unified statements, not separate
invoices for real obligations, pledges, and pro-forma ones like memberships.

While not a problem with the organizations for which I am treasurer it
is for some I belong to,perhaps also on board, or on finance committee,
etc. All of them (while not necessary using gnucash) choose the solution
of using the business features and then making the necessary adjustment
transactions if books are actually cash basis (in the formal sense).
Remember, that's not a daily chore, just do before preparing the reports
for the board, monthly, quarterly, annually, etc.  Nor does it affect a
great many accounts assuming transactions not entered using the business
features were done "cash".

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.