Scheduled transaction editor crashes GnuCash 2.6.5

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jan 10 06:05:21 EST 2015

On 9 January 2015 at 16:15, John Ralls said:

[...]
> I think it’s likely that one of your SXes has an out-of-range value in
> it, so figuring out which one and fixing it would be the best approach.
> You said that you can open the file in 2.4, so first make a copy of the
> file, then open it in 2.4. Remove all of the SXes, save it, and try
> opening the modified file with 2.6.5. If that works, you can start over
> and remove one SX at a time until it doesn’t crash.

A more efficient approach in this last situation, for anyone with more
than a handful of SXs, is to remove *half* of the SXs. This will tell you
whether the bad one is among the half you removed or the half you kept.
Then remove half of the half that you know contains the bad one, and
repeat until you find it.

For example, if you have 16 SXs this will find the rogue one in exactly
four tries, instead of an expected eight (maximum 15) doing them one at a
time. If you have 64, it takes only six tries, and so on.