Launching forum website for GnuCash users

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Jan 11 14:14:36 EST 2015

On Sunday 11 January 2015 10:34:13 John Ralls wrote:
> > On Jan 11, 2015, at 10:21 AM, <markaruzicka at gmail.com>
> > <markaruzicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I’m not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but GnuCash
> > community doesn’t seem to have any forums online. Or at least, I
> > can’t find any viable ones. Would it be acceptable to launch a
> > website for gnucash, such as “gnucashforums” and install a forum
> > software?
> You are free to do whatever you like, but we won’t support it.
>
> This list is the official support medium for GnuCash. If you prefer a
> web-forum interface, try http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

This and similar requests for a gnucash forum pop up fairly regularly.

While I personally prefer a mailing list, clearly others are looking for an online communication
channel.

We do support irc, however this is mostly known by more technically oriented people.

For the record I'll add there are also google+ [1], facebook [2] and linkedin [3] pages where
gnucash related discussions can be held. Those are not formally endorsed by the developers,
but may be of interest to people that use these social networks more intensely.

Finally I hope to see mailman 3 [4] get released in the not so distant future. The website
doesn't provide any roadmap unfortunately.

The combination of mailman 3 with hyperkitty [5] is something to look forward to: it's still a
mailing list at its core. Hyperkitty provides a forum-like webinterface on top of it. Messages
sent via e-mail (in the traditional mailing list style) can be viewed on the forum. The forum side
is organized like any forum: the mails are ordered by topic, you can search, reply to topics or
start new threads. Each message that's generated via the hyperkitty interface will be sent as
an e-mail to the respective mailing list.

That should satisfy both people that prefer mailing list and  those that prefer fora.

But as said, it's not released yet. So I'll have to be patient...

Geert

[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/103666182558673867088/
[2] https://www.facebook.com/Gnucash
[3]