handling multiple entities in single book : issue with trading accounts

Sébastien de Menten sdementen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 00:34:46 EST 2015

I am handling in a single book all accounts and transactions of my couple,
essentially, myself, my wife and a "common" assets (whatever we put in
common).
I have created a typical account structure for each of the 3 "persons"
adding the name of the person just before the 1st level, i.e.:

Assets / My wife / Current Assets / Checking Account
Assets / Me / Current Assets / Checking Account
Assets / Common / Current Assets / Checking Account

and this for all accounts (equity, expenses, etc).

I can then  see the balance per person as well as the overall flow from my
wife and myself to the "common" part as well as double check transfers
between our accounts => any better ideas (than creating different books) to
handle this ?

However, once I use the "trading accounts" options, gnucash creates
accounts like

Trading / CURRENCY / EUR
Trading / PCX / DIA

whereas i would like

Trading / Me / CURRENCY / EUR
Trading / Me / PCX / DIA
Trading / My wife / CURRENCY / EUR
Trading / Common / CURRENCY / EUR

to avoid mixing unrealized P&Ls. Any way to tell gnucash to do that (e.g.
assign manually a trading account per STOCK account) ?