handling multiple entities in single book : issue with trading accounts

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 13 14:43:30 EST 2015

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From reading the tutorial on multi-currency, I had the impression that the balance of the Trading account was equal to the unrealized gains (that would be converted in to realized gain if the position was to be closed immediately, transaction costs apart).
> But I must reread it as it is not immediately intuitive…

The top-level trading account “TRADING” will reflect the total unrealized gains at the point of the last price updates because it nets out the values of all of the sub-accounts at the current prices and exchange rates. That doesn’t mean that you can derive any meaning from the contents of individual trading accounts, nor should you attempt to use the trading accounts directly to book the realized gains as the reporter of bug 742795 attempted.

Regards,
John Ralls