Using customized reports in the 2.6 series

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 12:30:47 EST 2015

Last night I was experimenting with fixing an existing custom report by
adding some missing new accounts and my dog jostled my arm as I was
clicking on something which moved the curser across one of the Save
buttons as I was pressing the mouse button.  I was not ready for that
and it seemed that it went ahead and saved without any confirmation
click.  Worse, if I clicked Save Report Configuration As.. multiple
times (as in fat fingers or cat on the keyboard), it would merrily add a
digit to the end of the name and increment it and save multiple times
without pausing to give me a chance to actually change the name or
cancel out.  I found several new custom reports that I had not saved in
the form that I wanted.

Continuing, I had to experiment to figure out that one of the three
little icons to the right of each report name (if the window was wide
enough to see all of this) would delete it's respective report (I
think).  Again, I think there was no confirmation to verify that I did
not have a problem with a touchy mouser button.  Then I needed to delete
the extra digits at the end of the saved name to change it to the name
that I really wanted, and there was no Done key once I changed the
name.  I guess this may be emulating the way Android stuff works, but it
is really out of place on a PC in a program that otherwise behaves far
differently.

There is no help in either manual about this stuff yet, except a note
that it needs to be added.

After all of that, GnuCash decided to hang, and I had to force close it
with the Windows Task manager, so I am not sure what made it hang.  This
morning I re-started GnuCash, and I found that the report window had not
been updated after all.  Further, the report menu now calls the list of
custom reports "Saved Report Configurations" now to open a listed
report, one has to either click on one of those little icons next to the
title or click on the title, but not accidentally click on either of the
two other icons, which is easy, as the curser can cover two at once.
The last custom report name change had stuck and that the last saved
configuration did have the changes.