Budget Report

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:21:40 EST 2015

On 1/18/2015 4:14 PM, Wes Metz wrote:
> Murray, I would not know where to begin. Maybe someone else knows of way to
> do this.
>
> Good Luck
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Murray Field <bigbadmur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Wes,
>>
>> Yes, the grocery figures were taken directly from the account register, I
>> think you are right that I entered the transactions the wrong way around.
>>
>> Of course, all my other expenses will be wrong too, do you know of a quick
>> way I can change all of my expense transactions (and there are a lot of
>> them) from credit to debit without having to do each one individually?
>>
>> Or do you have another way I can fix this problem?
>>
>> Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Murray Field
>> On 18/01/2015 4:53 PM, "Wes Metz" <wes704 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If this example came from your actual Groceries account, your grocery
>>> purchases most likely are being recorded as credits (instead of debits).

Murray,

First take a deep breath and exhale slowly.  Then turn to the GnuCash
Tutorial and Concepts Guide.  Go to Chapter  4 Transactions >Account
Register.

Do your transactions appear to match the samples?  If so, your problem
is not within the transactions themselves.  If it looks like all
transactions are backwards, including deposits, you will probably have a
lot of work ahead of you.  As far as I know, for that case you would
need to change each transaction individually.

For the other case where the numbers are inverted for certain accounts,
the problem may be in the account type for groceries, for example, but
then the long name for groceries may start with the word
Income:Groceries instead of Expenses:Groceries.  That would be fixed
from the Accounts list as Colin described.  There are a couple of other
more subtle but less likely possibilities, which we can explore if these
suggestions do not solve your problem.

Be sure to reply to gnucash-user at gnucash.org.

David C