Automatically move down in reconciliation

Russell Gadd russ.mail.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 02:16:21 EST 2015

On 22/01/15 08:09, Maf. King wrote:
> On Thu 22 January 15 07:34:12 Russell Gadd wrote:
>> Some time ago Gnucash stopped moving the focus down to the next entry
>> when you press spacebar to tick an item in the reconciliation. I've
>> been waiting in vain for this to be reinstated. Was it deliberate for
>> some reason? Can a user choose some setting to get it back?
>>
>> Using version 2.6.1 in Linux Mint ("This copy was built from rev
>> 76cba80+ on 2014-02-19"). Maybe the Minters did this?
> Hi Russ,
>
> This cropped up a few months ago - Geert explained the reason for the change
> here
>
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-November/056789.html
>
> and suggests some workarounds. To my mind, sounds like a useful "feature" has
> been lost.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Thanks for the reference. It's a pity that the poster didn't state a
more useful case for wanting this facility. Of course reconciling is not
a matter of "automatically checking off each box as fast as you can" but
I don't like having to fiddle with positioning the mouse accurately many
times in a list where it would be much easier to use the keyboard. I
have to use the mouse too much anyway and I'm conscious of RSI so prefer
to use the keyboard where possible. The facility to use Ctrl-A or
highlighting several items and ticking in one click isn't particularly
useful. As there are control key combinations to reconcile and
unreconcile it shouldn't be a stretch of imagination to create ones
which will move down as well. Or preferably all you need is a toggle in
the options somewhere.