General Ledger no longer clears itself after pressing enter

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 13:53:11 EST 2015

> On 23 Jan 2015, at 18:15, jsp_1983 <jmsp.1983 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My general ledger used to clear the transaction entries in it when I pressed
> enter/return, sending them to the relevant accounts. I don't know how, but
> this has changed so that pressing enter/return doesn't clear the entries,
> but takes me to a new line to enter a transaction. I don't know what was
> pressed/changed, but I'd like to put it back to how it was. How can I do
> this?

I think you may previously have been entering transactions dated more than a month ago, and you have now caught up and are entering more recent transactions.

The General Ledger defaults to displaying only the last month, but you can change this if you want.

Not relevant to your query, but it’s generally not recommended that you put entries in through the General Ledger - not because it’s bad practice, but because it’s harder work doing it this way!

It’s easier if you enter a batch of (say) credit card transactions as a group, opening the register for that credit card, and then posting the expenses to the relevant expense accounts. These transactions will automatically appear in the General Ledger.

Michael