Not accumulating splits on invoices; recording individual line item dates in sales

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 03:02:30 EST 2015

Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:56:59 <1422061019666-4675284.post at n4.nabble.com>
jsp_1983 <jmsp.1983 at gmail.com>

>I have a customer for whom I do infrequent jobs. What I could do in my old
>bookkeeping application was issue an invoice with all these jobs on, but
>each instance of those jobs would be recorded as a sale on the respective
>dates those jobs were done.

ah! but should it have ? :)

>If I untick 'accumulate splits' in the invoice options for GNUCash, each job
>is recorded in the 'sales' account, but the date recorded next to them is
>the invoice date.
>
>I want to record the sales date as having occurred when the job was done.
>How do I do that?

enter it as text in the description is probably the best answer, e.g.
===
tie yellow ribbon around old oak, 2nd Jan
chase noisy cat away at 1am! 5 Jan, plus $1 for late call out
===

Why ?  Invoice dates (and their separate lines if splits are not
accumulated) are significant in tax and accounting terms so the account
(as opposed to the printed invoice) must reflect the actual tax point
(or whatever it is called in your jurisdiction).

The other way is to invoice each job separately and then produce a
statement (customer report in gnc parlance) as a request for payment, I
will leave it up to you to decide on retrospective invoicing and your
tax regime but the general advice is don't.

--
Wm...