GnuCash could not obtain the lock....

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:25:15 EST 2015

On 24 January 2015 at 20:42, Robert Di Giorgio <bobdi2 at cox.net> wrote:
> In the past, I got this message every time I opened GnuCash, but "Open
> Anyway" opened the file unlocked.
> Now, with the previous version deleted, the current version will only open
> Read Only, making it useless.
>
> Current version, downloaded January 2015, (GnuCash installed doesn't seem to
> show its current version), Win 7

It shows the version at the bottom of the splash screen on startup and
in Help > About.  Where did you download it from (exactly, not just
'the website' for example)?

I wonder whether the file is saved somewhere that gnucash is not able
to write to.  Try doing File > Save As and save the file in your
Documents folders and see if that helps.  Problems with Read Only
files  are usually OS related rather than gnucash.

Colin