subsequent year

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 17:42:18 EST 2015

Sat, 24 Jan 2015 04:29:54 <1422102594631-4675294.post at n4.nabble.com>
helendel <dlmrgnk at gmail.com>

>Life gets complicated.

You are making it so.  It needn't be.

>I opened my current set of accounts for 2015 with
>very few entries (not knowing the terminology sucks), clicked save as, and
>used "template" in the name.

Why?

>  I closed gnucash, verified that the newly
>created file was there using Windows, re-opened gnucash, told it to open my
>newly created file and got an error message that "no backend information",
>or some such wording, and no file opened.

If you told someone you went to the fridge extracted two items and
didn't know which was which we'd be no wiser.

Have a thunk about what you saved the last file as, it should give you a
clue about what name to look for next time.

>  There are now two such files in
>my "books" file under gnucash which Windows apparently cannot delete.

WTF are you trying to delete them when you don't even know if one of
them may contain the stuff you want?

> Why
>on earth does the software keep a set of accounts that cannot be opened?

It doesn't, you have done something wrong, really.

>And, more importantly, what must one do to create a set of accounts that CAN
>be opened?  And how does one delete a set of accounts that are unusable?

You've got it all wrong.  We're just here for you to vent at.

Feel free to either yell some more or describe your problem (which most
sensible people don't encounter, BTW) as you see fit.

--
Wm...