subsequent year

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 03:53:31 EST 2015

On 25 January 2015 at 22:48, Del Kentner <dlmrgnk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a screen shot of a portion of the recycle bin showing a few of the
> files I deleted as being duplicates:
> [image: Inline image 1]

I think you have not read my post carefully enough.  As I explained, it
seems that you have got file extensions turned off in Windows (which I
suspect is the, IMO silly, default in Windows), so you cannot see the full
filenames, but have to try and guess from the file type.  The first file
above, shown as Farm is actually your original accounts file, full name
Farm.gnucash.  The Farm.gnucash.nnnnn files shown as gnucash files have the
extension .gnucash and are the backup files automatically created by
gnucash.  The number is a timestamp of the form YYYYMMDDHHMMSS and shows
the time the backup was made and contains the accounts contents before the
edits made at that time were saved.  The files shown as Text Documents are
actually of extension .log and are the logs made showing the changes you
made to the accounts at that time.  Each time you save your accounts file
it saves the original file and makes a backup file and a log file.  Now
since, according to your previous posts, you have started using a filename
with a timestamp as your actual accounts file the situation will be further
complicated by the fact that the filenames will now have two numbers, which
will complicate things even further.  I suggest you open your accounts file
and do a File > Save As and save it with an appropriate name (Farm?) and
then that will be the one to use from here on.

Please keep re-reading the above until you fully understand it.  If you
can't then ask for clarification.

Colin