GnuCash could not obtain the lock....

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:59:28 EST 2015

On 1/26/2015 3:34 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> Please use Reply All or Reply List when replying to a post on this
> list as otherwise, unfortunately, replies go only to the poster whose
> post you are replying.  Forwarding to the list.
>
> On 26 January 2015 at 21:14, Robert Di Giorgio <bobdi2 at cox.net> wrote:
>> It turned out to be a checked Placeholder in the Checking Account.
>> Unchecking it unlocked it.  But the next time I opened the file, same
>> problem, except this time the Placeholder was checked in the Accounts file.
>> Unchecking that one seems to have solved the problem.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Bob Di Giorgio

>>> It shows the version at the bottom of the splash screen on startup and
>>> in Help > About.  Where did you download it from (exactly, not just
>>> 'the website' for example)?
>>>
>>> I wonder whether the file is saved somewhere that gnucash is not able
>>> to write to.  Try doing File > Save As and save the file in your
>>> Documents folders and see if that helps.  Problems with Read Only
>>> files  are usually OS related rather than gnucash.
>>>
>>> Colin

Robert Di Giorgio,

We are glad that you solved your problem.  However there is still a mystery in my mind about the actual cause for your data file not closing properly.  Having the Placeholder box checked for an account should not have caused that by itself.  I am not 100% sure, but if you attempted to enter a transaction and that failed because the placeholder box was checked, there should have been an error message generated immediately.  It should have still been possible to close the data file completely, so there would be no lock left over.

Some users have had issues with some of the versions from 2.5.1 through 2.6.4 in Windows computers.  Do you have version 2.6.5?  If not, it would be a good idea to update.

David C