trouble with date when importing a just exported csv file.

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 23:01:00 EST 2015

On 1/28/2015 7:52 AM, Larry Evans wrote:
> On 01/28/2015 12:01 AM, Edward Doolittle wrote:
>> I've never used the CSV importer. I tried importing the CSV you supplied by
>> setting the Separator to @ and date format to y-m-d, and got to an error
>> message that says: The date format could be wrong *or there are not enough
>> columns set...* [emphasis mine]
>>
>> The problem wasn't the date format, but that I didn't operate the CSV
>> importer properly to set the columns. I went back and changed a few
>> settings. Start import on row 2 and stop on row 3, and then I selected the
>> type of each column by clicking on the white-on-gray box at the top of the
>> column and choosing from the drop down list.
>>
>> That got me past the error message. It still doesn't look quite right on my
>> machine, but I think I may have messed something up when I cut and pasted
>> the CSV to a file, so I didn't continue with the import.
>>
>> I'm guessing that the CSV exporter puts more information into the file than
>> the CSV importer can use, e.g., reconciliation, currency units/symbols,
>> etc. So it seems to me that exporting to CSV and then importing back into
>> GnuCash might result in some "flattening" of the information which may or
>> may not be significant. Perhaps others can shed some light on that issue.
>>

> [snip]
> I agree about the exporter putting more information than needed.
> I had misread:
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/ch04s02.html#AccTree-FileMenu
>
> at:
>
> Starts the CSV Account file import process. The file to import must be
> in the same format as the one exported by GnuCash.
>
> in particular, I'd read the:
>
>   The file to import must be in the same format
>   as the one exported by GnuCash.
>
> as applying to the import of transactions (the next line) instead of the
> import of accounts :(
>
> So.. I changed the contents of file import to:
>
> 2014-12-01,Checking Account,Opening Balance,Opening Balances,500.00
>
> and was able to import it as expected; however, I tried something
> similar for the SHA1 account but ran into problems when importing file
> with contents:
>
> 2015-01-02,SHA1,buy another,Checking Account,T,1
>
> As shown by the 2 attachments.  The last attachment, shows I needed some
> action, but I've no idea what action that would be.
>
> I'm guessing, and as others in this thread have mentioned, using csv
> import is probably not the best; however, that's all I've got from
> my broker :(
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> -regards,
> Larry

Larry,

don't give up yet... The match screen looks a lot like the match screen
for the OFX importer.  When I get to that point in the OFX importer, I
just click on the "A" box the first time I see a transaction, then see
what the importer brought in.  If it really matches an existing
transaction I can just decide which of the two to delete.  The second
time a similar transaction comes in then I can choose U+ R or R if I
like what appears.  Have fun.

David C