Wondering how to handle > 10 years of .qif data; if mapping changes old transactions; and how to make a new sub account

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 08:45:49 EST 2015

Mon, 26 Jan 2015 20:00:54 <loom.20150126T205204-429 at post.gmane.org>
KindWoman <paulamaas at mail.com>

[can't quote correctly]

>I'm "getting going with new accounts", and also following your advice about

>importing City Services. I found an example of one transaction, clicked on

>edit>edit account> changed account name in dialogue to "City Services",

>confirmed account type (expense) and attempted to locate it to the parent

>account "utilities" on the drop down, clicked OK and got "You must choose a

>valid parent account."

Get them into gnc under one of the main account types, e.g.
Expenses:CityServices as with gnc you can move them about in the account
tree later.

>The problem with bringing accounts from iBanks is that the sub-accounts,

>e.g. Utilities/City Services" appear as "Utilities"without it's subaccount.

>Perhaps you know how to import the subcategories.

I know nothing about iBanks

You can't import stuff into distinct accounts unless there is something
to distinguish them.  That is just a fact.

>About the new accounts, online set up is difficult to understand. I've been

>monkeying around with it for a few hours now and can't talk to any of the

>banks I've tried. (I've gotten this going a few times over the years with

>other software). There are other users with similar problems. I'm told I've

>entered a wrong user or password, even after making new ones to be sure I'm

>on target there.

I do my banking the other way around, i.e. gnc is main and I reconcile
to my on-line bank and card a/c's , it is just a balance on a date for
me.  The actual on-line banking seems prone to specific this and that.

--
Wm...