All my accounts under Accounts tab have disappeared!

MK malini.kaushik at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:36:44 EST 2015

Version : Gnucash 2.4.13 on Mac OS 10.10.1 (yosemite)

I have been successfully using Gnucash for the last few months. A couple of
days ago when I attempted to open it as usual, the only thing that was
displayed was the Save and Close buttons and Accounts tab had disappeared.
After reading through the forum I learned that I could bring the Accounts
tab back with View->New Accounts Page, did that but the list is completely
empty.

Based on suggestions given to others here is what I have tried -
- Copied the gnucash data file to a different location and opened. That did
not help.
- Attempted to open a few backup gnucash files (I see several backup and log
files in the same directory). Same thing, they all open empty.

This leads me to suspect it is not the data file but something in my gnucash
configuration that is messed up.
I have several months of data that I have no hope of recovering if I cannot
get this to work.
Any suggestions on what I should try ? Should I trying uninstalling and
reinstalling gnucash ?