All my accounts under Accounts tab have disappeared!

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 31 11:20:41 EST 2015

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 7:36 AM, MK <malini.kaushik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Version : Gnucash 2.4.13 on Mac OS 10.10.1 (yosemite)
>
> I have been successfully using Gnucash for the last few months. A couple of
> days ago when I attempted to open it as usual, the only thing that was
> displayed was the Save and Close buttons and Accounts tab had disappeared.
> After reading through the forum I learned that I could bring the Accounts
> tab back with View->New Accounts Page, did that but the list is completely
> empty.
>
> Based on suggestions given to others here is what I have tried -
> - Copied the gnucash data file to a different location and opened. That did
> not help.
> - Attempted to open a few backup gnucash files (I see several backup and log
> files in the same directory). Same thing, they all open empty.
>
> This leads me to suspect it is not the data file but something in my gnucash
> configuration that is messed up.
> I have several months of data that I have no hope of recovering if I cannot
> get this to work.
> Any suggestions on what I should try ? Should I trying uninstalling and
> reinstalling gnucash ?

Reinstalling GnuCash is unlikely to do anything. First, make sure that GnuCash is really opening your data file: The name of the file should appear in the title bar of the window. Next, look at the data file and backups in Finder and make sure that they have a size other than zero. If they're not empty then there's a problem with loading them. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type the line
  find /var/folders -name gnucash.trace -exec cp {} ~/Desktop \; 2>/dev/null
That will copy the trace file to your desktop from which you can attach it to a reply for me to examine.

On the other hand, if they are empty you'll have to restore from a real backup like Time Machine.

Regards,
John Ralls