Start Day of Weekly Report

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Wed Jul 1 10:10:58 EDT 2015

Hi Michael,
  Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I did restart the computer during this process. I just checked again after another restart overnight with no joy. The Reset Defaults button appears to restore all the settings of the visible tab to their default values when clicked. I clicked Reset Defaults in each of the tab of the Report Options. Of course, this eliminated the report because no accounts are selected by default. Then I went back and just set the sorting to Date with Weekly subtotals and added the Asset accounts to the report. This returned me to the same place I was with subtotals starting on Sunday.

  I don't think this would be cause by GnuCash picking up a setting when it is first installed. Here's why: We replaced our computers last December. As part of my usual practice, I always take about a week to put together a base operating system on an external hard drive so I have a backup in case something goes wrong. Then I install the applications and test them to be sure each one works. Then, finally, I copy our data over to the new build and install it on the computers after final testing. The start-of-week setting gets applied when I build the base operating system and GnuCash is one of the later applications I install. Therefore, there should have been many restarts between when I set the start of the week and when I finally got around to launching GnuCash for the first time.

  I, too, am at a loss about this. I don't know what could be blocking this setting on my computer when it clearly works properly on your computer. Would you mind running a small test for me? It would be interesting to know if it works for you to switch the start-of-week setting on your reports: If you set up a new user and confirm that the start of the week is set to Sunday (or some other day), created a test file in GnuCash with a few transactions and then ran a report, it should give you subtotals from Sunday (or whatever day you chose) without messing with the settings for your main user and your live bookkeeping data. If you then describe your steps in excruciating detail, I might get a clue as to why my changes are not doing the trick.

Thanks,
John