Sort transactions by date within a day

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 2 14:12:08 EDT 2015

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 9:29 AM, GT-I9070 H <gti9070h at gmail.com> wrote:

> Derek’s on vacation, dunno when he’ll be back but I’m sure he will. I’ve spent very little time with the import code so I can’t help much on this one.
>
> Thanks for the info. I was thinking that you worked on per shift.
>
> I'm also with my outstanding imports.
>
> I believe that for those who parse the GnuCash XML data file for write an importer, write an exporter to Excel, QIF is easy. I believe that a few hours of work will suffice if there are no surprises.
>
> I'll wait for Derek, I would like to know his opinion of my suggestions made in previous posts on that topic and if will be implemented or not or if there is another alternative. This would define my way forward.

OK, but you’re really much better off using the GnuCash API to process your import. It’s in C with bindings for Scheme and Python. There’s a lot of computation and checking that goes on in the GnuCash engine and you’d be much better off taking advantage of that than trying to reproduce it or deciding that it’s not necessary in your case.

You also need to know that splits don’t explicitly store prices/exchange rates. A split has two fields, amount and value. Amount is the quantity in the split’s account’s currency and value is the the quantity in the transaction currency. The ratio of the two is the price/exchange rate. There’s a separate price database that keeps prices by date and time, which is used for computing market value in some reports. It’s updated by the GUI when a two-commodity split is recorded or modified, but that’s not automatically done by the engine.

Further discussion about this would be better in gnucash-devel.

Regards,
John Ralls