tracking bank service charges

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:02:17 EDT 2015

On 2 July 2015 at 20:52, gg <gg at mailinator.com> wrote:
> Yes I read the guide.
> I created a standard accounts set by doing File->New File and choosing
> 'Business' accounts set or something like this. I got a huge list of
> accounts for business, divided into Assets, Equity, Expenses, Income and
> Liability sections.
>
> When I create an Invoice, post in and then later do Process Payment for it,
> the gnucash registers received money into Income->Sales and Current Assets
> accounts. But to pay Expenses I can't use Current Assets, I can only use
> its' child accounts, such as Checking for example.

Forget about gnucash for the moment.  In the real world when you have
to pay the particular bank charges we are talking about (not generic
charges but some actual real world charges) which actual bank account
do you pay the charges from?  Do you pay it from an account called
Current Assets or do you pay it from an account called Barclays
Current Account or what?

Colin