Where does Gnucash save it backup files when using mysql data source

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sat Jul 4 19:59:16 EDT 2015

On 07/04/2015 07:11 PM, Dave H wrote:
> I would have thought you'd probably have to look at backup options
> within mysql itself for this ?
>
> Cheers Dave H.
>

> On 5 July 2015 at 08:10, L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com
> <mailto:ljames at apollo3.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have found the backups of gnucash to be very invaluable.  In
>     order to facilitate a client with their accounting (access from
>     home and work) I'm exploring the mysql data feature.
>
>     I'm having problems locating where the backups are stored. Can
>     someone help?
>
>     Thanks.

Thanks Dave.  I understand how to back up my computer and all my date.
I've always known how to do this even when using the data files.
However, I find it very convenient that when actually using Gnucash, it
actually backs up the data.  The data is backed-up when you use it.  If
you don't open Gnucash for days or weeks it won't be backed up (by
Gnucash).  The feature backs up the data when it's actually being used.

If I use it 10 times different in one day, it'll actually be backed up
those 10 times.  Again, I find this extremely convenient.

I can backup the mysql data 10 or 20 times a day, but if it's only used
once or twice on some days and not used on some days, that might be a
lot of backing up.  Also if I only back up the mysql files once a day
and it happens to get loaded and used 10 times that day, the
functionality for reviewing the most recent change is gone.

I don't know if this has been considered by the developers, but it's
something they might consider.

In the meantime, I'll write a routine for mine to regularly check the
gnucash database for any changes or activity and back make a backed-up
version when this happens.  I wouldn't consider it as efficient as the
built-in backup facility of Gnucash itself, but it's something that
might come in handy if something gets corrupted when it's being used.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames at apollo3.com