Where does Gnucash save it backup files when using mysql data source

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sun Jul 5 05:47:25 EDT 2015

When I first started using Peachtree, as far as I know, it was a bunch
of local files very similar to the way Gnucash started out. Eventually
they incorporated a database engine.  It's a very powerful engine.  I
can research and give you the name of it.  The Linux version of the
engine is extremely expensive.

They didn't place a requisite that their users go to school and learn
the new engine.  The people just used the facilities of Peachtree as
they always did.  Peachtree continued to routinely backup the data to
the local drive as always for the user.

I believe Gnucash should do the same.

Many people are using Wordpress.  They have no clue what a mysql
database engine is.  The developers of wordpress decided to take a very
powerful facility (mysql) and incorporate it into their program.  The
have very simple install procedures, and the program just works.  It
works very efficiently because of the time and attention that the
developers put into making the application easy to use.

I don't suggest that Gnucash tries to backup the mysql database itself,
but I wouldn't fight against it.  I'm suggesting that Gnucash performs
the export which John mentioned as a feature to be considered, as a
default option when exiting the program.  I don't understand why you are
animate against this protection for the users' data.

John mentioned, and I'm glad it's being considered, that the
incorporation of mysql is a preclude to what may progress into a
multiuser system of Gnucash.  When reviewing the list, when multi-user
comes up many people start to say, this is a small program, get an
expensive program for multi-users.  I'm glad that in spite of the nay's
against Gnucash having multi-user capability, it's actually being
considered.

Of course many people will have an IT person, even for their word
processor files.  But I hope Gnucash doesn't become a program where
every time a person has a problem, we suggest that it isn't for them,
they need to go to their IT.

A person doesn't have to know anything about the engine an application
is using, to actually use it.  I was surprised and just noticed the
mysql option built into the latest version of Gnucash. It's not in the
repository version that is installed on my clients machines.  I'll be
upgrading theirs to the new Gnucash.  I never opted for the mysql
version during the years of my testing and considering Gnucash because
of threads like this, that suggested that it was something extremely
time consuming and almost impossible for a novice to use.  While I am
very flush in SQL development and usage, I wasn't anxious to get into a
time consuming operation.  But yesterday when I saw it as an option I
clicked on it.  I was very surprised at the ease in using it.  It asked
for very simple things, the name of the database and the username and
password.  It was much easier than setting up Wordpress which many
novice users can do without know anything about mysql, SQL, database
engines, or a lot of basic computer operations.  They just run the setup
routine and follow the prompts and leave the technical stuff to the
program developers.

I believe using mysql is something that will actually make developing
and supporting Gnucash easier for the developers and people giving
support.  I don't think the users actually have need to know anything
about mysql or concerned about it.  Just run the setup... put in their
username and password for the installed mysql and be on their way.  I
always install mysql on my clients computers, even though they don't
know what it is.  When they install an application that uses it, it
simply asks them for credentials and everything is automatically setup
by the program.

Currently Gnucash doesn't actually setup create the database.  But it
would be an extremely simple routine which I would gladly provide if the
gnucah developers wanted wanted to consider.  Creating an mysql database
is as easy as using a personal username and password to log into the OS
(Windows or their Mac computer).

So again, I really don't understand why you are so animate against this
extremely powerful, yet very easy to use and implement feature.  While I
can explore and use XML and Sqlite, I find mysql the easiest of all.

The backup feature already exist in Gnucash.  It's called "save as".
All it really takes is a rename from "save as" to "backup" or "export",
provide this as an exiting option and it's all done.  I can't imagine
anything simpler... and I really don't see where the need of an advance
IT professional should have to come into the picture.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames at apollo3.com