No suitable backend found

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sun Jul 5 06:49:36 EDT 2015

On 07/04/2015 11:08 AM, Chris Brittain wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to 2.6.7 on Win 7 and had six different accounts
> before upgrade all available through the file dropdown. Since upgrade I just
> have two. I have tried to open via the books/ "file".gnucash.gcm but just
> get message "no suitable backend found" can you help??
Hi, Chris.  Windows won't open up a file without having a specific
program configured to be called by the extension.  When Gnucash is
installed it's associated data files ends with a *.gnucash extension.
Since you have apparently been bringing up your accounting program by
clicking on the files it would appear that your data files would have
the *.gnucash extension.

Look for the directory where you have your data and click on them there
and you should be back to where you left off before the upgrade.

Gnucash keeps a history of the recent data files loaded.  If you're
having problems finding your data files directory, maybe someone can
tell you where gnucash's history file is located and you can look in it
to see the names and location of your previous data files.  I'm sure if
you find one of two, you should see the others.

Also, since you say you have two, bring up one of those two and click on
"File -> Save as ", then look at the folder it's trying to use  and
browse to that folder with your windows file browser and you should see
your other data files.

Hope this helps!

-- L. James

--