Where does Gnucash save it backup files when using mysql data source

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sun Jul 5 13:29:55 EDT 2015

On 07/05/2015 12:59 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 5 July 2015 at 17:48, L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com> wrote:

>>> It does for me.  Of course, you have to provide credentials that have
>>> authority to create a database.
>> Thanks for the input, Sean.  I was just posting a clarification of my
>> experience.  Hopefully the developers will implement more descriptive error
>> messages when there are problems.  While the setup and usage is extremely
>> easy, I did make some initial typo's with my username, password, and
>> database server.  At first I thought it wasn't working.
>>
>> The failed message is very alarming.  It doesn't say it can't access the
>> server or database, it suggests the database is corrupted.
>>
>> Great input.  I'm creating a new ID separate from my own (which I'll keep
>> limited) for Gnucash, giving it database creation access. While I do most of
>> my commands on a black terminal screen, I'll probably use the novice feature
>> of logging in with phpadmin to create the new account.  I'll let you know
>> how it goes.
> So if even yourself has trouble with user and permissions issues using
> mySQL can you imagine the mess a simple user would get into trying to
> manage such issues?
>
> Colin
Actually I don't have problems (that I really consider problems).  I
know I make typos when I type in the forum.  But that won't stop me from
typing in the forum.  When I reread one of my messages, I just try to be
more careful when I type the next.

I make mistakes using Gnucash.  So, I go back and fix the mistake. I
have people that argues with me that they would never use the computer
for their accounting because they don't trust the computer... the
computer makes mistakes.  They fill the best thing is to do it all by
hand... which they say takes longer, but they get it right.

I don't agree with that.  They will make a mistake on the paper and they
will make a mistake on the computer.  To me it's easier to find the
mistake on the computer than on the paper.  The same goes with typing in
a username and password.

I wouldn't consider it a mistake that I didn't give Gnucash that much
permission.  It was a part of my security conscience mindset to give
incremental access.  When Mysql becomes the default of Gnucash, I hope
to be available to help to provide the mechanism and description of
which type of permissions to provide.  This can easily be done right
through the software.

I'm still giving consideration of setting this permission.  I might not
grant that permission.  I might only allow the provided databases to be
placed on the network for now and the backups (exported data, saved as
data) to be on the local computer.

The whole thing is work in progress with me.

I know I'm not perfect, but I've had very good success with databases
(starting with dBase back in the early 80's) and computers in general.
Most of it has to do with a lot of consideration and taking what I
consider safe and well thought steps.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James