GnuCash Income - How to manage?

Klaus Dahlke kdahlke at gmx.de
Wed Jul 8 15:13:22 EDT 2015

Hi,
I am not an accountant, but I here is whaat I do:
basically, I have four income accounts: salary, tax refund, interests/dividends, other income.
So, when I get paid, i record:
+100 Bank, +100 salary
+50 wallet, +50 salary (cash payment)
+ 10 Bank, +10 dividends (dividend payment from investment)

But expenses not recorded vs the incme account as minus, but vs the expense accounts:
-100 wallet, -100 expenses-food
-120 credit card, -120 expenses gasoline (later on: -120 Bank,+ 120 credit card)

So, your income account(s) sum up and increase over time, your mothly income you'll get via reporting, not by looking at the balance of the income account(s). Whether you spend more than you earn (or vice versa) you get by comparing the income accounts with expense accounts,

By the above I manage to have the imbalance accouns always at zero.

Chees,
Klaus