Help: Research group accounting

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Jul 9 10:05:01 EDT 2015

On 7/6/2015 11:41 AM, Jędrzej Pełka wrote:
> Hello!
>
> There is a small research group, which runs various experiments on human subjects. The subjects are paid for the amount of time they spent participating. I wonder if it would be reasonable to use GnuCash to track what the research group owes/pays/gets from the subjects.
>
> Detailed description of the "business logic" of the research group:

> I'm a beginner and this case of business is rather unusual compared to most GnuCash tutorials. May somebody suggest a proper scheme for accounting this?
>
> Best regards,
> JP
My suggestion is that ANYBODY with this sort of unusual accounting need
first step back and think about the question of how they would be doing
it in the pre-computer accounting days of pen and ink on paper. That
will clarify your questions about how to do it using gnucash, which
after all, is simply a way of automating parts of the accounting process.

But yes, I think you could in fact think of "time" as an imaginary
"foreign currency". I don't see any obvious reason why this wouldn't work.

Michael