GNUCash Import QIF - Help Please!

GT-I9070 H gti9070h at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 19:28:24 EDT 2015

> GT-I9070 H <gti9070h at gmail.com> writes:

> >     > As far as I know currently CSV importer does not import CATEGORIES.
> >     > Do you suggest extending the CSV importer to allow assigning
> categories
> >     too?
> >
> >     Sure, you could do that; effectively pre-assigning a destination
> >     account.
> >

> > I did not understand. What are you saying? That The CSV importer
> currently
> > imports categories?
>
> No, it does not currently support it.  By "do" I mean "create" or
> "implement", as in "you could implement that".

I Understood.

Remember that I don't write code in C, Shema or Pyton (API requirement)
then once you suggest making these necessary implementations the only thing
I can do is hope that a kind soul to do.

That's why I did not understand.

Until then I will be with my pending imports.

> >     I have no objection to adding that as an option to the CSV
> >     importer.
> >
> > Ok. Thank you very very much!
> >

> >     >     For interfacing with GnuCash Android I'd suggest the
> >     data-file-sharing
> >     >     approach if you actually use multiple currencies.
> >     >
> >     > Ok, I'll start the tests, but as far as I know GnuCash Android
> does not
> >     yet
> >     > support multiple currencies.
> >
> >     I think it does, but I don't know to what extent.
> >
> > We have accounts in multiple currencies but still can't make transfers
> between
> > accounts with different currencies.
> > Ngewi Fet said it's because he needs to develop to get online rates.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why you have to "get online rates"; in GnuCash
> desktop you can tell it what the exchange rate is.  The online rate
> lookup is just a guestimate; it's never "exactly" what you get.

I agree with you.
It's been a while since I talked to Ngewi Fet about that and I do not
remember well what he said exactly. But one thing was clear he had other
priorities and did not want to worry about it at that time we spoke and I
agreed with him.

> >     > I think my case is very unusual, I live in one country and my
> assets are
> >     in
> >     > another.
> >
> >     Then why not just track everything in the currency where your assets
> are
> >     and ignore the "local" currency?
> >
> > I do not see how to do this if I do exchange and spent money on "local".
> > This would be record the exchange direct how spending and not as a
> transfer of
> > assets?
>
> I travel a lot.  The way I do it is that I maintain Asset accounts
> denominated in my local currency and just track the foreign currencies
> in the transaction description.  E.g.:
>
> 6/15/15  Schwartz Deli (10CAD)        (credit) USD 8.24

I've done look like this, that was how came this my current multicurrency
vision discussed here. I had all my accounts in the default currency when I
was an expense on foreign currency, I recorded the value of foreign
currency in the description of the transaction and I calculated at the time
(or after) and recorded as an expense in the default currency, but the
calculations gave a lot of work to record the transaction.

These are most of my pending transactions for import into GnuCash Desktop.

> At the end of the trip I reconcile the cash account based on the amount
> of foreign currency I have left and calculate my exchange rate based on
> the ATM rates (I look at my bank account).
>
> Sometimes I have to delay the actual USD amount until I know what the
> actual exchange rate was (e.g. if I use a credit card).

I also use ATM's rates, but my trip never ends, perhaps in 2019! I move by
several countries.

You use the same fixed rate practiced in the purchase of foreign currency
(ATM's, Credit Card, ...) so that I mentioned here in my discussions.

If I understand well, you do well like me except that my money goes through
an account in foreign currency and back to the default currency. So I have
the values of foreign currencies into fields for numbers and not in a field
for text and can do calculations with them in the SW.

You keep an account for local money and I hold an account for foreign
currency and rate. I use a fixed rate for each quantity of foreign currency
and you use an average of the rates for all local money, but the
mathematical result is the same.

> > Also, we are addicted to information, the more the better until it leads
> us to
> > the hospital!
> >
> > I like to make price comparisons from different countries, an idea the
> cost of
> > living for me.
>
> Sure, but you don't need to account in multiple currencies to do this.

Yes, but this is not the only reason to have accounts in other
currencies is more to be closer to what was practiced.

> > My transactions record the date, the local price, the rate that cost
> "that"
> > money and a idea of price in my default currency.
>
> Sure, and as you see, my method does that, too.  Although I admit it's a
> bit harder to automatically "add up" the amount of foreign currency I
> still have -- which is why I enter those reconciliation transactions at
> the end of every trip.

That's one of the reasons I prefer to keep the values of foreign currencies
in the field for number and not in the text.
I have a precise control of the amount of foreign currency that I have and
that's what triggers me to a new bank withdrawal.
I do not use credit card. I'm alone, I and my money!

Your method is very good! I think your method is my method simplified !

> > We have an expensive or cheap notion much better in our default currency.
>
> Sure, but again, this type of price shopping does not need to happen
> inside GnuCash (and indeed, GnuCash is not the right place to do this
> kind of price comparison).

Yes, but GnuCash is what I have is what I use for everything. Sometimes
even as a memories projector, a movie !
Have you ever wondered where you were in that year on that day, what were
you doing? GnuCash can answer.

Thanks.

Regards
GTI