Changed Entry Dates after updating from 2.6.4-2 to 2.6.6 and/or 2.6.7

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 12 13:53:30 EDT 2015

Sat, 11 Jul 2015 20:16:38
<790D4F52-F1BF-404E-BBF5-ECECEC3A3A77 at ceridwen.us>  John Ralls
<jralls at ceridwen.us>

>Fred’s right that the blank transaction date isn’t from the file.
>It’s either the date when the register was opened or the last posted
>date used if a transaction has been created since the register was
>opened.

my space

>Unless you think that Detlef is punking us,

No, if I thought Detlef was "punking us" Liz would have had to refuse
yet another message from me by now.

>we can assume that it represents how GnuCash is interpreting the
>current date — shown in the taskbar in the lower-right of the screen
>shots — with a 1432015200 seconds offset.

why would one version of gnc do that when another does not?

>Interestingly, log2(1432015200) ~= 30.4, rather close to the size of an
>int32_t, though both GDateTime, GTimezone, and GnuCash are quite
>scrupulous about using int64_t for time representations. IIRC so is
>msvcrt.

Hmmmn, OK, personally I think you're looking for stuff that is unlikely
to have happened.

>It gets more interesting: 2.6.4 used glib-2.28 and 2.6.5 and later use
>glib-2.32. A significant change between the two is that the newer
>version has a rewritten Win32 section for gtimezone.c that among other
>things gets timezone information from the registry.

Thinking ... what is Detlef specific?  I'm not seeing it.  I'm not
dissing you, J, thinking aloud.

> It’s possible that the Win8.1 registry has a different timezone
>format, but if that were the case I think we would have
>heard about it sooner.

Yup, I'm using Win 8.1 here, it would be hard for all of Urp and Merca
to miss all of the time changes even if you are a Greek minister <--
joke, I actually like greek people and most everyone else.

>The traffic on this list and in Bugzilla indicates that there are lots
>of users on 8.1. The other possibility is that Detlef’s Registry TZ
>database has gotten corrupted somehow, though if that were true I’d
>think the system clock would reflect the problem too and it clearly
>doesn’t.

I think we can reject that because it hasn't happened, D would sensibly
have found his system broken if that was the case and phoning the
obscure list that we represent isn't emergency behaviour.

>I don’t have all of the pieces assembled in my head yet,

Neither do I, I am curious though

>but I think that’s a more promising line of reasoning that is file
>format because the blank transaction is affected.

But it could all be settled in a minute if you or Fred or I had sight of
the file.  I trust you and other people on the simple premise that we
have nothing to gain from seeing Detlef's file.

I think until D tells us the format of his file so we can test it in the
two versions we should presume there is summat wrong with the file.

Detlef: I trust myself, JohnR and Fred.  i.e. you don't have to trust
me.

I think we (or at least one of us) needs sight of your file, until then
we are just guessing.

--
Wm...