Changed Entry Dates after updating from 2.6.4-2 to 2.6.6 and/or 2.6.7

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 13 20:05:29 EDT 2015

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 2:12 PM, Detlef Kattenstroth <detlef.kattenstroth at web.de> wrote:
>
> Hello all, and sorry for my delays in replying,
> but the energy crisis here in Ghana takes its toll on online time.
>
> I moved my regular file to a different place, installed gnucash 2.6.7 and then
> created a new empty book from scratch. The result is what can be seen in the
> attached screenshot. The date is from the distant future in 2060
>
> When I try to open the files, the old one as well as the new one, with an editor
> there is no clear text to read!

Detlef,

As Fred says that’s because the default for GnuCash is to compress the file. If you don’t want to mess around with decompressing it by hand you can turn off compression in Edit>Preferences>General. The compression option is the first one under “Files”, about the middle of the list. Save the file again and it will be in plain text.

Please create a transaction, then save the new file again. Open it in  and search on “date”. That should find the transaction posted and entered date. Please post the whole transaction record from the file.

Regards,
John Ralls