Under what accounting head should this account be created?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jul 14 07:26:06 EDT 2015

On Tue 14 July 15 04:08:43 nosherwan wrote:
> Thanks a lot... josh
> So you mean you create it as an asset account and not as an accounts
> receivable account?
> Wouldn't it be better if you more often than not owe something to others
> you create it as an accounts payable? and if someone more often than not
> owes you you create it as accounts receivable? what do you think about this?
>
> Regards,
> Nosherwan

Hi Nosherwan,

Within Gnucash, the "account types" of A/R and A/P have a special use case
with the business invoicing & billing subsection of GC.

By all means *name* your account something like Assets:A/R:JohnDoe if it works
for you, but I suggest you stick with actually having type set to Asset.

Personally, I'd probably call such an account Asset:FriendsLoans:Fred etc.
(or liability if I was going to spend most of my time owing money)

0.02
Maf.