Advanced Portfolio - another problem

dunbrokin dunbrokin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:21:20 EDT 2015

I have just noticed another problem with Advanced Portfolio: the basis cost
of foreign stocks changes over time. For example if I bought BBBY (one year
ago the price would have been X, today the price is Y) the basis cost of my
holding in NZ$ (my reporting currency)  changes in line with the change in
the NZ$/US$ rate. This does not reflect reality. The basis cost should stay
fixed i.e. the basis should be X converted to NZ$ as of the FX rate 1 year
ago. I makes no sense to recalculate the basis for BBBY based on today’s FX
rate