Corrupted reconciliation cannot be fixed?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 21:18:02 EDT 2015

Ken,

I think there’s a misunderstanding here. Reconciliation is a *going forward* action. That is, you reconcile an account as of a particular date—and once you’ve reconciled, in most cases, you won’t be going back to change transactions that you’ve reconciled. (There are circumstances in which past transactions can be—or become—altered, some of which are documented in the Guide Chapter 4.5)

The point is, you shouldn’t have finished your March reconciliation (indeed, GnuCash tries to keep you from finishing your March reconciliation) until the transactions in your accounts matched those in the account statement you were reconciling against. And if you *did* finish the process, then the accounts ought to be good going forward.

Perhaps you need to explain further how (and why) your previously-reconciled accounts would need alteration. I think that might help explain why you are getting into trouble during subsequent iterations of this process.

David