Is there a difference between creating a new customer and new account?

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 17:42:40 EDT 2015

Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:43:45 <55AC0C01.60901 at apollo3.com>
L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com> wrote...

>You're right about the intricate legal parts about keeping accounts,
>money and things of that source separate and totally accounted for. The
>lawyers understand that and have always been doing it.

You are wrong!  The lawyers depend on their support staff and often
don't look at their accounts except for once a year.

>But yea, they understand about the legal requirements of keeping things
>separate.  And it's not the Lawyers I'm introducing the system to. It's
>their secretaries and receptionist.

And this is where I feel I must speak out against what you *appear* to
be doing.

>But again, regardless of who will be using the accounting, creating a
>new customer, creating a new account, creating a new invoice will still
>have the steps provided in Gnucash.

Wrong!  They will have an entirely different meaning in context and gnc
has an extremely limited notion of Customer that simply doesn't
translate into the legal world.

>I gave the secretary the steps for creating a new customer.  When she
>did it and acknowledged it was done, she told me she created the new
>account and gave me the customer's information.

Who you think the "Customer" is has nothing to do with the legal
relationship!

>I was just trying to be accurate in saying, the step she did wasn't the
>creation of a new account, even though now the customer has an account
>in the system.  She created a new customer.  I was trying to get
>verification from that group of the nomenclature for that particular
>step.  Was I wrong to not refer to the customer entry in the accounting
>system as a customer, and not an account.
>
>I'll use the same nomenclature for my clients who rent appointments if
>I introduce them to Gnucash.
>
>By the way, I recently became active in my block club.  I don't know
>what accounting system they are using.  But I might introduce them to
>Gnucash also.

You are, in my opinion, a salesman before anything else and I think gnc
should disassociate itself from you if possible.

Liz: this is getting *very* strange, if you refuse this we must talk

--
Wm...