Crowdfunding + GnuCash mobile app

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 20 12:58:20 EDT 2015

> On Jul 19, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Steve <butterandsalt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Patience has never been one of my better qualities.
>
> I enjoy GnuCash, use it multiple times a day and totally rely on it, but
> frustrated with the current GnuCash mobile app (yes, I realize it is a
> totally separate program and developer), which passively allows you to
> record transactions for upload and merge, but really is not a robust
> financial app replacement...
>
> Wondered if any of those who have been putting in their time and sweat to
> develop GnuCash which we all use and enjoy, have considered pooling their
> resources and increasing the ante by using some type of crowd funding
> approach which would make the resources available for them to develop a true
> robust GnuCash mobile app, as a full time effort?
>
> Just a thought, figured I'd throw out a seed in case someone wants the idea
> to flower...

It would take a lot of money, expert developers are expensive and we’d need several to get done quickly everything that needs doing to port GnuCash to Android or iOS. It would also mean that at least one the current developers would have to play PHB to the paid developers, something I don’t think any of us would enjoy.

OTOH GnuCash already runs on Win8 and presumably on Win10, so you can have it on your Surface now. It won’t be a very pleasant experience because Gtk doesn’t do touch and the screen real-estate demands are significant, but it will run.

Regards,
John Ralls