Remove the file

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Tue Jul 21 07:45:15 EDT 2015

so I set up three different file name file A, file B, file C, When I
open the gun cash program, all three files, A,B and C are listed under
File just below “Properties”, I can go to File and choose which set of
book I want to work on and select the correct file. Later on I decide I
only need two files, I no longer need the file C, so how do I remove the
file C ( which has no data on it). thanks again for the help. Heide

But you DID (at least once) open file C in gnucash, yes?

Maybe somebody else  can tell you how to clear or modify this HISTORY
list. But that is what it is. An ordered list of the last (up to) 4
files you have opened with gnucash. I am assuming that you are seeing 3
files listed there, A, B, C (or B, A, C). In other words, the last file
you opened was either A or B and the last file before those two was C.
Instead of typing in the file name you want, gnucash is allowing you to
select a file from the history list.

The presence of an item in a history list is never a guarantee that it
still exists (the scope of that statement goes far beyond just gnucash).

If you ever begin using gnucash on more files, that file C will go away
all by itself (will no longer be among the last four). You might not
even be keeping the books for more entities for that to happen. For
example, at the end of each year, I copy the books to a new file named
for the coming year. That means I can always go back to look at the
status of accounts at year end and YE reports, no need to rerun them. Do
that a couple times, and stray files once accessed but no longer used
soon drop off history. If you choose to do a "close the books" operation
you would likely be doing this (I don't do a "close the books" but still
do it)

Michael D Novack