How we use GnuCash for rare multi-currency transactions

Segundo Bob SegundoBob at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 25 19:29:40 EDT 2015

When were are not entering multi-currency transactions, we are careful
to turn off "Trading Accounts" [Alt-Return, uncheck "Use Trading
Accounts"].  If you leave "Use Trading Accounts" checked when you enter
a stock transaction, the "Trading Accounts" functionality adds a trading
account for the stock because the stock shares are a commodity, just
like a currency.  A stock "Trading Account" serves no purpose.

The documentation seems to imply that the "Use Trading Accounts" check
box was intended to be turned on once and then left on forever.
Happily, so far as we have been able to determine, this check box can be
toggled on when you want the "Trading Account" functionality and toggled
off when you don't want the "Trading Account" functionality.  And
GnuCash continues to function correctly.

We chose to use "Trading Accounts" because it allows us to
straightforwardly track our foreign currency transactions in the foreign
currency without creating any expense or income accounts in the foreign
currency.  This may not be immediately obvious to you, but if you
intelligently work through an example transaction, you will see how to
do it.

I'm sending this message to the mailing list hoping that it will help
others use GnuCash more effectively.
--
Segundo Bob
SegundoBob at earthlink.net