Invoices in Accounts Receivable

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jun 1 07:09:50 EDT 2015

On Mon 1 June 15 11:30:45 Nick McCulloch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was unable to find this information so if it exists already please
> point me in the right direction.
>
> This is GnuCash 2.6.6 (rev 5a3ea33+ on 2015-03-30) When Posting Invoices
> I post them to Assets -> Accounts Receivable which looks to be the
> default settings.
> That is fine I expect it to be in the Accounts Receivable and it shows
> it as an Invoice.
>
> But when someone pays that Invoice it makes a new item as a payment and
> marks the invoice as paid but does not remove the invoice and payment
> from the Accounts Receivable. I don't interact with Accounts Receivable
> other than checking what is owing to me.
>
> The accounts receivable becomes cluttered with Invoices and Payments
> items, I thought once the invoice was paid it when they be removed from
> Accounts Receivable as its no longer Receivable. Is this by design or is
> it an accounting requirement I am not aware of not being an accountant
> or is it something else?
>
> Thanks

Hi Nick.

By Design, I think.  Don't know about any accounting requirements mandating
the approach, but all the customer reports etc only look in A/R.

Have you tried the Ageing report to see who owes you what, rather than looking
in the register directly? (IIRC, Reports -> Business -> Customer menu, don't
have GC to hand at the moment)

HTH,
Maf.