Lost Checks - No Payee - Best Practice

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Tue Jun 2 18:27:02 EDT 2015

On 6/2/2015 2:38 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:
> My suggestion:
>
> A bank will charge a per check fee to "stop payment". They will not
> guarantee the stopping of the payment and they accept not
> responsibility for not catching it.

But whether *your* bank would consider this a "stop payment" is another
matter. At least some banks would allow you to in advance have a range
of check numbers made null (as opposed to a "stop payment" on each
number). And if your bank wouldn't accept responsibility for making a
"stop payment" work (except for the situation where that check clears
before the stop payment goes into effect) maybe you look for another bank.

Your first action should be to check with your bank. Tell them what
happened and ask what you should do.

Michael D Novack

PS: I speak from experience. We had a "missing bunch of checks" problem
(in this case missing from our house) and our bank was willing to deal
with the problem without charging us a "stop order" fee for each check.