register position after entering a split

Sean Porterfield gnc20150530 at sf.porterfield.net
Sun Jun 7 18:26:59 EDT 2015

On 06/07/15 17:34, Wm wrote:
> Sun, 7 Jun 2015 17:04:52 Sean Porterfield
>
>> On 06/07/15 15:15, Wm wrote:
>>> Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:51:36 Sean Porterfield

>>> Yes, but it isn't always obvious
>>
>> Of course, it's software, so the question was foolishly stated.  Better
>> might have been, "When I add a new transaction, what determines the
>> cursor position afterward?  Sometimes it is in the blank transaction at
>> the bottom; sometimes it is in the split of the transaction I just
>> added."
>
> I gave you a chance

You realize that I was stating I foolishly worded my original question,
right?  Software will do the same thing every time given the same
inputs.  If I get a different result, clearly I've given different
inputs.  I just wondered if anyone knew what the different input might be.

> Now you have to do homework, OS and gnc version.

Of course, I should have included that in the original email.  I'm using
Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS with gnucash 2.6.1 in the Ubuntu package.

>>> Generally arrow and tab keys keep you within a split transaction.  Enter
>>> and the buttons are your way of saying "I'm done with this transaction
>>> for now", you can always go back to it later, of course.
>>
>> I feel that last part of you reply means you did not understand my
>> question.
>
> Wrong, don't feel me again, please.

I didn't feel you.

>> In every case, I am adding a new transaction to the register.
>> In every case, I am finished with the adding of the transaction and
>> intend to have it saved.
>
> Got that
>
>>  In some cases, my register scrolls up to the
>> transaction that was just added - after it is saved.
>
> Not here

I press enter to save the transaction.  Sometimes the blank transaction
at the bottom is selected, ready for me to enter another transaction.
Sometimes the transaction I just entered is selected.  That transaction
(in the examples I'm entering) is old, so the register window has
scrolled up to display that transaction.

>> To enter a new transaction, I need to scroll back down or press the
>> button to go to the blank transaction.
>
> Yes
>
>> In other cases, I am looking at the blank transaction at the
>> bottom, ready to enter another transaction without having to
>> reposition the register.
>
> So?
>
> These are all normal.
>
> Your expectation appears to be wrong.

> OK, how about you say what you think should happen *and* what does
> happen so we can figure out what you're describing?

My expectation is that after saving a transaction I just added, the
selected transaction will be the blank one at the bottom.  What causes
the newly added transaction to be selected sometimes?

Is that a better question, or have I still failed in wording it properly?

I have a new theory that has not yet been proved wrong, though I've only
carefully watched and tested it for about 10 transactions so far.  I
entered 5 each way and got the same result for all 5.

I think the case of it scrolling back to the transaction I added is if
the transaction did not display in balance.  It is in balance - I just
didn't move my cursor off the last line for it to recalculate and
display the balanced version.  I thought I would have noticed that
before, but it's possible I pressed enter before I meant to.  In each of
the 5 cases where I carefully made sure there was no remaining balance,
I was positioned in the blank transaction as expected.

If this theory is correct, it makes perfectly good sense and is a Good
Thing.  Of course, I also know I've entered some transactions that
posted to the imbalance or orphan account that I had to fix, but that
could be an entirely different set of steps that caused the errors.
(For a fact on several of those I know I pressed enter way too early -
having been a Quicken user with the "enter = tab" setting in use.)
--
Sean Porterfield