Crash with transaction report.

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 15:37:09 EDT 2015

Mon, 8 Jun 2015 22:10:31 <55767547.6000100 at att.net>  Richard Dawson
<rcdawson at att.net>

>I have been maintaining my accounts on gnucash since 2002.  Recently I
>came across a balancing error in one account.  suspecting that I had
>accidentally deleted or altered a transaction,  I decided to create
>transaction reports from the current file and from an earlier backup so
>I could compare them transaction by transaction.
>
>When I attempted to run a transaction report for the entire history, I
>got a message in the transaction report window that an error had
>occurred, and then gnucash ceased to run.  I restarted gnucash and it
>opened with the file seemingly none-the worse for the experience.
>
>Thinking that perhaps a single transaction was somehow corrupted, reran
>the report with only the last month, then the last two months, etc,
>until the problem recurred.  I was able to print out reports or the
>period 6/1/2014 - today.  If I went back further, gnucash crashed
>again.
>
>I then attempted to create reports starting with the earliest
>transaction and ending before 6/1/2014.  Guncash crashed again.
>
>Then I tried incremental reports starting at the beginning:  these were
>the results
>report period                     Result
>1/1/2002-12/31/2002            OK
>1/1/2003-12/31/2003            OK
>1/1/2002-12/31/2003            Crash
>6/1/2002-5/31/2003              Crash
>
>How can I trouble shoot this.  Is there any utility for verifying the
>integrity of the file?  For repairing the file?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

saying

  gnc version
  OS
  storage (XML compressed or not, SQL, etc)

will help the next helper.

make some backups (you sound like the sort of person that might have
them but there is no harm in going wholesale)

first thing to try after that

  switch to the accounts tab
  Actions / Check and repair / check all

  make tea as you have 13 years worth of data

do you have any Imbalance or Orphan accounts.

If you do they're the place to start looking for answers.

--
Wm...