Transaction entry problem

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 17:03:05 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Ron Shook <shepvideo at aol.com> wrote:

> Some transaction entries for Utilities: natural gas and Utilities:
> electric were posted to the wrong accounts, 3 or 4 to the opposite account
> in each account.  This happened on a transfer from Microsoft Money and was
> most certainly posted wrong in that accounting package.  I went into both
> nat gas and electric accounts and changed the wrong ones from transfer to
> nat gas and electric appropriately.  This worked for the most part except
> for one transaction entered after the transfer which wasn't a transfer,
> which I changed from nat gas to electric, i.e.,, it was a mistake that was
> made in Gnucash and didn't originate in MS Money.  After I tried to change
> the entry from nat gas to electric, it stubbornly refused to take the
> change and stayed in nat gas.  After trying numerous times to do this, I
> decided to delete the transaction from nat gas, and add it to electric.
> After deleting it from nat gas and opening electric, I tried to add the
> deleted item ther!
>  e.  I fill out the new transaction registry item, hit enter, and what I
> have just typed disappears and is not added to the electric account.
> Trying to do this numerous times has resulted in the same nothing
> happening.  An anomaly that happens when I fill out the new line is that
> the correct amount for the debit is entered automatically each time, if
> that would help in determining what I'm doing wrong?
>
> To make this even more confusing, when I do a transaction report on
> electric, every one of the failed attempts to add the new transaction entry
> shows up on the transaction report as a separate item making for an insane
> amount for total electric, yet none of these failed items is shown when I
> double click and open up the electric account.

What do you see when you go to the asset account you use to PAY the
utilities? Each transaction should appear in both places -- the asset
account the money comes from and the expense account the money goes to.
When you edit a transaction in an expense register, it makes sense that it
would disappear when you change the transaction to a different expense
account. Maybe you accidentally created several expense accounts with
similar names? Maybe when they got imported, one or more weren't assigned
to the correct account types?

Before you go a lot farther, be sure to read the Tutorial and Concepts
Guide, available in several formats on the web site:
http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml

I think if you read the introductory material and then work through a few
of the examples you will see exactly how your data needs to be entered.
Once you see it work correctly for data you entered, then you can go back
and correct the errors in the imported data.