Crash with transaction report.

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Wed Jun 10 20:15:59 EDT 2015

On 06/09/2015 06:44 PM, Richard Dawson wrote:
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I am using GnuCash 2.6.1, built from rev 76cba80+ on 2014-02-19
> I am using Linux Mint KDE
> I am using the default storage - I think that it is uncompressed XML.  I
> declined to switch to database storage.  I can open the file with a text
> editor, and the first few lines look like this
>
>     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
>     <gnc-v2
>          xmlns:gnc="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/gnc"
>          xmlns:act="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/act"
>          xmlns:book="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/book"
>          xmlns:cd="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cd"
>          xmlns:cmdty="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cmdty"
>          xmlns:price="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/price"
>

> Check and repair produced a strange result.  Prior to running it I had
> no imbalances and one orphan.  Immediately after running it, which
> didn't take very long, I had some $105K in imbalances.  Oh #%C$%&&!
> I closed the file, opened the back-up to verify that I didn't have those
> imbalances.  I then re-opened the main file to see if I could make any
> sense of the imbalances.  Happily, they had disappeared.
>
> I corrected the one orphan, then reran the result.  Same result.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> On 06/09/2015 03:45 PM, gnucash-user-request at gnucash.org wrote:
>> Message: 3 Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 20:37:09 +0100 From: Wm
>> <wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org Subject:
>> Re: Crash with transaction report. Message-ID:
>> <kPZC5+BlB0dVFwiY at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> Content-Type:
>> text/plain;charset=us-ascii Mon, 8 Jun 2015 22:10:31
>> <55767547.6000100 at att.net> Richard Dawson <rcdawson at att.net>

>> saying
>>
>>   gnc version
>>   OS
>>   storage (XML compressed or not, SQL, etc)
>>
>> will help the next helper.
>>
>> make some backups (you sound like the sort of person that might have
>> them but there is no harm in going wholesale)
>>
>> first thing to try after that
>>
>>   switch to the accounts tab
>>   Actions / Check and repair / check all
>>
>>   make tea as you have 13 years worth of data
>>
>> do you have any Imbalance or Orphan accounts.
>>
>> If you do they're the place to start looking for answers.
>>
>> -- Wm...

Thank you for your response.

I am using GnuCash 2.6.1, built from rev 76cba80+ on 2014-02-19
I am using Linux Mint KDE
I am using the default storage - I think that it is uncompressed XML.  I
declined to switch to database storage.  I can open the file with a text
editor, and the first few lines look like this

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <gnc-v2
         xmlns:gnc="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/gnc"
         xmlns:act="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/act"
         xmlns:book="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/book"
         xmlns:cd="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cd"
         xmlns:cmdty="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cmdty"
         xmlns:price="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/price"

> [...]
sense of the imbalance entries.  Happily, they had disappeared.  The data seems intact.

I corrected the one orphan, then reran the result.  Same result.

I tried to find a newer version of gnucash, but was unable to find one short of trying to compile from source.  Not something I have done, so a little reluctant.

Any more ideas?

Richard